10 Superfoods You Should be Eating!
Have you been hearing about superfoods lately?
Wondering if you should be eating some of them? The answer is YES. Remember, everything you put in your body counts- good and bad. Superfoods help to get you ahead of the game. They are SUPER in the sense of having more benefit per bite than any other foods nutritionally. Superfoods are full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. There are many exotic superfoods, but might not be practical if you don't know where to buy or how to eat them!
Ready to give some a try? Check out these 10 easy to include superfoods below.
- Avocado- Great source of healthy fats, Vitamin C and E. Guacamole is one of my favorite snacks. Also great in salads, on toast or in your smoothie!
- Beans- great source of iron, fibre and protein. Eat in stews, soup, chili, or even a bean salad.
- Blueberries- I remember blueberry picking when I was little with my family. Mom would freeze them and make all kinds of things! Blueberries are one of the best sources of antioxidants, which help fight free radicals, aging and disease. Eat raw as a snack, toss blueberries into your smoothie, stir into a fruit bowl, or your breakfast oatmeal or yogurt.
- Broccoli- One of the most nutrient dense 'green' foods you can find. Full of Vitamin C and A. For most nutrient benefit, eat either raw, or lightly steamed. Also great in the juicer.
- Chia Seeds- if you don't have a lot of fish in your diet, then Chia Seeds are a great way of getting Omega-3. Also full of fibre and energy- they help you stay full longer. Toss into any smoothie, cereal, or just mix into your favorite tea, cool and shake before drinking (they expand and become gelatinous once soaked)
- Hemp Seeds- one of my favorites and very easy to use. You can put them into your smoothies, sprinkle onto salads, or into your breakfast from oatmeal, to cereal or yogurt. Hemp seeds have the ideal ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6, they are a complete protein source, and they are easily digested. Add a teaspoon every day!
- Nuts- There are so many kinds of nuts, but most have a good source of healthy fats, and a great source of phyto- nutrients. They are a great snack option, but stick to raw nuts, not salty or sweetened.
- Seaweed- Sounds crazy to eat seaweed, but marine algae is a great source of minerals including iodine, calcium, potassium and iron. Easy to use- stop by a health food store, buy a bottle of mixed seaweeds, and use it in place of salt in ANY dish.
- Sweet Potatoes- full of Vitamin A, B, C, E, fibre and antioxidants. Great to add to soup, stew, or bake in the oven.
- Tea- There are so many herbal teas out there that taste great AND have health benefits. Green tea, freshly brewed has antioxidants, and medicinal properties that have been recognized for thousands of years. Best way to get benefits- brew for 5 minutes a drink strong. You can dilute that until you are used to the slightly bitter flavor.
What are your favorite superfoods? And how do you use them? Post in the comments below!
If you are just getting started OR want some additional help and yummy recipes for your health journey, you will LOVE my Nutrition Resource Library. It's FREE! you can sign up here and get instant access to recipes, meal plans, food journals, and so much more.
That's it for today! Enjoy all the recipes inside the Library!
Gaylene Gomez, NNCP, C.H.N.
A little bit about me! I'm Gaylene, a Holistic Nutrition Coach for women. I work with busy, professional women to help them learn about healthy, simple lifestyle changes they can easily implement to reduce belly bloat, lose weight and get through their day with sustained energy. My clients are committed to their health and excited to learn about healthy eating and natural living. I feel proud of them for taking charge of their health and I'm so lucky to work with these amazing women.
Learn more about me here: About Me