Bean Burger Recipe
This yummy bean burger is very easy to make. I often make a double batch to keep on hand for a quick meal. In the summer time, it's great to have a healthy last minute plan for a BBQ. They keep well in the freezer, and are quick to make. I hope you like it!
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 bell pepper- any color you like
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 can of black beans
- Start by draining and rinsing the beans. The more dry they are, the better your burgers will stick together.
- Everything goes into the blender or food processor, as below:
- Add onion and pepper first, blend and drain any excess liquid, this also helps them stick together better. Add garlic then oats. Blend again. Add egg and spices. Blend. Toss in beans and blend again.
- Chill the mixture for about 15 minutes, then scoop burgers onto cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Put tray into freezer for a couple hours. This helps them to stick together when cooking.
- Burgers can be cooked in a pan, on a griddle or in the oven. Cook until browned. Yummy when topped with avocado, sprouts and tomato.
Gaylene Gomez, NNCP, C.H.N.
Modifications- and tips to try:
- I have tried a double batch, using half black beans, and half garbanzo beans- it was delicious!
- I have made this recipe with both red and green peppers, both yummy.
- I have added sunflower seeds and the bit of crunch was nice.
- Two eggs and a bit more oats can help it stick together if you find its too runny.
- Add some grated beets. Gives it a bit more flavor and also the reddish color.
- Store extras in freezer and they are a quick easy meal on busy days!
Let me know if you try any modifications! I love them, but always looking for new ways to make them even better. Post your comments below!
I have loads more recipes, meal plans and Nutrition tips for FREE in my Nutrition Resource Library. Come join 100's of other women on their healthy living journey.
Sign up below for instant access: