Chicken Quinoa Chili Recipe
This is one of my favorite fall and winter recipes. It's cooked in the crock pot, so super easy to prepare, and makes the house smell yummy at the end of the day when you are starving.
- 1 Jar of Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Can of Black Beans with liquid
- 1 Can of Pinto Beans or Kidney Beans with liquid
- 1/2 Red Onion diced small
- 1/2 Red Pepper diced small
- 3 large cloves of garlic chopped small
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of water or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce of your choice
- 1 cup of quinoa (rinse if it is not pre-rinsed)
- Start by greasing your crock pot with coconut oil. A silicone brush works great for this.
- Toss in the beans. I use Eden Organic beans, as you don't have to drain them, and the liquid is perfect for chili.
- Add the Diced Tomatoes- and turn crock pot on.
- Add rest of ingredients in order above. Make sure to cover the quinoa with liquid.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-6 hours.
- For the last few hours, keep an eye on it, as the quinoa does expand while cooking. I usually give it a couple stirs at this point to mix it all together.
- Pull out chicken breasts onto a cutting board and shred using 2 forks. Return to slow cooker and give it a good stir to mix up.
- Ready to eat! Garnish with avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips
Gaylene Gomez, NNCP, C.H.N.
Want MORE Yummy Recipes? Grab my FREE 10 Healthy Soups and Stews Recipe Book here: