Baked Pumpkin and Squash Seeds Recipe
It's that time of year! Pumpkin everything! There are so many sweetened pumpkin spiced treats, from cookies to coffee to muffins. I prefer the real deal- pumpkin seeds. They are very nutritious, and deliciously crunchy as well. One of natures perfect snack foods.
This recipe works with both pumpkin seeds, and squash seeds. They are so delicious, it will probably make you want to cut up a new squash each night for dinner. Both pumpkin and squash are a bit messy to clean, but I promise this is worth it!
- Start by cutting up your squash or pumpkin so you have access to the center. You can go ahead and make your dinner, and leave the seeds to bake after.
- Using a spoon, scrape the insides out, this will include the seeds and the pumpkin/ squash 'guts'.
- Put all of this in a large bowl with water in it. Using a spoon, stir up and try separate the big chunks. While in the water, the seeds will more easily separate from the guts. Do what you can with a spoon, then get your hands in there to finish separating.
- The seeds will then float- Scoop the seeds off and lay them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet on parchment paper. Lay out for a few hours to dry.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Put back into a clean bowl, and add a tsp of coconut oil, stir well to coat lightly.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, and your choice of seasonings. I like to use chili powder and seaweed.
- Spread in single layer onto parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Using spatula, stir around and flip over. Bake another 10 minutes.
- Start tasting at this point- you want them crunchy! Might need to add another 5 -10 minutes. They can start to burn inside without noticing by looking at them, so you need to taste test. Careful! They will be really tasty (and hot!).
- Enjoy! They will likely disappear fast. If you didn't get it quite right the first time, try again! You will be seeing pumpkins around for weeks to come.
I hope you like this recipe! Post below to let me know how yours turn out!
Gaylene Gomez, NNCP, C.H.N.
Sign up below for more free recipes and to stay in touch!