Do You Know Your Body?
Your health is so important to you, and we often don't appreciate it until we get sick.
It might sound like a strange question... but really- do you know your body?
Do you know what makes you feel good? Do you know what makes you feel bad? Or do you just push on through your day or week and not really pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you?
Let's dive into this a bit more, because I think its REALLY important.
I remember we touched on health and the food groups in school. I was lucky enough to have a family that cooked meals at home, made healthy meals, and put time and effort into making sure we had good food every day.
BUT.. that doesn't mean that I eat perfect and that I have perfect health. Far from it! I have suffered from tummy troubles, I have suffered from headaches, I have suffered from acne, and I have suffered from many other 'diet related issues' like low energy.
6 years ago I was sitting on my couch reading a huge textbook called Staying Healthy with Nutrition. Why doesn't everybody KNOW this stuff was what I kept saying as I flipped through my Nutrition textbooks when I studied Holistic Nutrition at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. I kept calling my husband into the room and I would read something to him that I was blown away by.
I was actually shocked by many things I learned.
- Did you know that there are specific foods to FUEL your body with energy? And that without them, you will be tired all day?
- Did you know that if you don't include the right foods you won't lose weight? (it's not all about what NOT to eat)
- Did you know you don't have to count calories and be on a diet to be healthy, slim, energetic and fit?
- Did you know that our gut health is connected to our energy levels and weight? And that there are SUPER easy ways to fix it?
Well...surprise, those are all true. After I spent years studying about it, I have since helped my own health and MANY other women.
My skin has cleared up, my energy is SO much more stable, my tummy rarely gives me the problems it did and my headaches are much less frequent. The only thing that changed? My eating habits. I didn't start a new medication, I didn't find a magic pill.
But I DID learn about my body.
Nutrition is such a buzz word, but it really shouldn't be! Fad diets get all the love, they might give you a short term fix (maybe) BUT it never lasts!
The thing is, most of this stuff isn't hard. It's just that we actually need to do it. For some foods, that means including it. Some foods, that means avoiding it.
And I think the most important step is to actually LEARN about our bodies.
We tend to just do what we need to do to get by, here's some examples.
- We pop an advil when we get a headache. We don't ask ourselves WHY do I have a headache? Am I stressed, tired, weather change, ate something your body doesn't like, didn't drink enough water?
- We push ourselves to drag ourselves out of bed when the alarm goes off on a regular basis, yet we don't take the time to nap or go to bed earlier the next day.
- We get constipated or a sick tummy and take Pepto bismal, Tums or some other magic fix from the drug store. We don't look back at the previous days diet, we don't look at the nutrients we are lacking, or the extra sugary treat we had, we just try and FIX it without looking what went wrong.
- We stress out about work, family, busy life and how do we react? Push through? Or take time to relax, de-stress, and address the root cause and FIX it?
I think for all of those scenarios, the best course of action is:
- Take a step back. Pay attention to what your body is telling you (seriously).
- Acknowledge it.
- Decide how you WANT to feel.
- Then deal with it. Ask for help, learn, try different things.
You might be thinking your body failed you, is damaged or you are too busy to look after yourself. But honestly, they are excuses. So pull yourself out of the pity party- figure out what is going on and then find help. Don't just cover it up. Because you CAN feel amazing! I promise.
Ready to learn more? Here's a quick video:
Need some extra help? I would love you to check out my Membership - Doors Are Now Open!
Click here for more info:
Questions? Just ask below!
Gaylene Gomez, NNCP, C.H.N.
A little bit about me! I'm Gaylene, a Holistic Nutrition Coach for women. I work with busy, professional women to help them learn about healthy, simple lifestyle changes they can easily implement to reduce belly bloat, lose weight and get through their day with sustained energy. My clients are committed to their health and excited to learn about healthy eating and natural living. I feel proud of them for taking charge of their health and I'm so lucky to work with these amazing women.
Learn more about me here: About Me