Warm up the holidays with organic gingerbread!
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (sifted)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup organic unsalted cultured butter, melted
- 1/2 cup organic cultured lowfat buttermilk, chilled and well shaken
- 1 organic extra large brown egg
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Lightly grease an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Sift flour, spices, baking soda, and sea salt into mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together molasses, 1/3 cup sugar, butter, buttermilk and egg. Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Pour gingerbread batter into the prepared baking pan. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until an inserted tester comes out clean. Allow the cake to cook completely in the pan.
- Cut into 16 squares. Top with homemade whipped coconut cream and garnish with candied ginger.
Vegan option: Use 1 flax egg to replace the egg. Replace the buttermilk and butter with 3/4- 1 cup of organic coconut milk.
Makes 16 servings
I hope your mouth is watering! Mine sure is.
Want some more yummy recipes? Grab some holiday favorites by clicking on the Christmas Desserts digital cookbook below:
Stay in touch and let me know which one your new favorite is!
Gaylene Gomez, NNCP, C.H.N.