5 Easy Ways to Eat More Fruits + Veggies
We all know we are supposed to eat 7-10 servings of fruits and veggies each day. But that's a LOT! If you were a rabbit able to graze on the grass all day- easy enough, but you are probably busy, perhaps trying to cook for your family, maybe have picky eaters- maybe YOU are the picky eater (I know I am- I'll admit it).
For your health, and longevity, it is important to make an effort. But where to start? Please read on for 5 easy ways to get those vital nutrients into your day.
- Have a smoothie for breakfast or a snack. If you toss in a banana, handful of spinach and some berries you are already way ahead of where you were 5 minutes ago. Smoothies are quick, easy, and yummy! There are a million different recipes, and you can easily tweak them for your whole family to enjoy. (You can get tons of free smoothie recipes by clicking here: Green Smoothie Challenge)
- Start your meals with a salad. If you have some fresh greens, cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes before you start your 'main course' then you are not too full to eat that side serving of vegetables that often get pushed to the side of your plate.
- Wash, and cut up fresh veggies, get them ready to eat for snack time. If you have to go to the office, pack them in your bag, if you are a fridge grazer, have them right in front of you when you open the fridge door. Making it EASY to have a fruit or veggie snack increases the chance of eating enough.
- Fresh squeezed juice. Juicing is a fantastic option for getting your fruits and veggies in. One of the reasons is- it takes a lot of carrots to make a glass of juice. The juice is the highest concentration of nutrients in the vegetables, so you can get a mega dose of vitamins and minerals when you juice. There are fresh juice bars popping up all over the place, or you can learn more with our Juicing for Better Digestion Program.
- Look up recipes in advance, and make a list of the items you want to buy. There are so many fun recipes on the internet. Get creative, and have some fun. Then visit your local market or check out the fresh fruit and veggie section of your supermarket. Chat with the grocer and ask how to pick out veggies for being ready to eat. I have tons of recipes including a 7 Day Clean Eating Recipes and Meal Plan inside my Nutrition Resource Library. It's free and you can sign up here: Nutrition Resource Library
Most importantly, make the effort. Unfortunately, most of us do not have someone serving us healthy meals 3 times per day in the comfort of our own home. It is up to you to have fresh fruits and veggies on hand so that it is easy to turn to. Once you get in the habit of spending time in the veggie section, and once you find a few recipes you like, it gets easier and easier. I promise.
Gaylene Gomez, NNCP, C.H.N.
How do you get veggies into your diet? Do you have tips to share? Please post in comments below.
As always- if you enjoy my blog, please like and share with your family and friends.